Monday, 22 June 2015

Black in the City




Last Thursday evening I, along with my husband , caught a flight to Melbourne to spend a few enjoyable days exploring, some shopping , seeing exhibitions , much dining out and spending time with our son.
We were originally due to fly at 12.00 am but that flight was cancelled , the disadvantage to flying with a budget airline and living on an island .



While the boys went off to an exhibition of Car Design in Australia I had a lovely time exploring and photographing some of Melbourne's wonderful buildings, both old and new. The first of these is the Exhibition Building, completed in 1880 for Melbourne's first International Exhibition.The very large, grand building and the surrounding gardens were built to showcase the grandeur and wealth of Melbourne and Victoria at the time , due to the Victorian Gold Rush.


This rather elaborate building built in the free Gothic style is now the ANZ Bank museum and was originally
the Stock Exchange. Elaborately ornamented ,each level of the facade differs from the others.Gargoyles and stained glass windows abound. Unfortunately as it was Saturday the museum was closed but on my to visit list for my next visit.

A close up of one of the gargoyles, an unexpected surprise on a bank building I thought.

This is a back view of some of the buildings making up Federation Square , that includes the Ian Potter Centre, NGV Australia, The Centre for Moving Images and several more. There are also many cafes and bars as well as the Melbourne Visitor Centre. It is always a bustling place with many cultural attractions and events, a great place to people watch.


A view of the skyline with the Yarra River in the foreground taken from an area known as Southbank , a busy restaurant hub.


One thing I enjoy doing is discovering a new area I haven't explored before and this time I found Gertrude Street, Fitzroy. It is filled with interesting small shops , many housing new, experimental Australian designers and a variety of trendy cafes. I find these areas so much more interesting than any large shopping centre filled with chain stores and clothing that somehow all looks the same.

I am wearing all black , a black Moyuru dress over a black wool top with a black wool jacket and art deco style pin and black hat purchased in Melbourne.

Joining Turning Heads Tuesday.

SHARE:

19 comments

  1. Looks like you're having fun, looking very stylish. Air travel can be so stressful, I'm convinced that Hell exists, and it's an airport where every flight is permanently delayed and you are being sent from gate to gate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very chic look, dear Jill. Black is a terrific colour on you! It often washes me out and can overwhelm me in large doses, but it the epitome of chicness and elegance on you (lucky lady! :)).

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jessica I must admit I enjoy wearing black. Thank you for your kind comments.

      Delete
  3. Glorious glasses. You always have the best jackets, ahhhhhhhhhhhh
    Besossssssssssssss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much , you know me I love a jacket.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful buildings! It is always exciting to discover new places, isn't it? You look as gorgeous as always. Love the pin (wish I could have a closer look)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melbourne does have some beautiful and interesting buildings. I should have taken a closeup of the pin , it is interesting, promise to do it next time.Thank you so much Olga.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jill!
    I love to discover new places, hope to travel more next year if my health can take it. One thing I always love and appreciate is the architecture of buildings. Love the ones you showed, and the skyline great shot! I love the all black look, and you do have the best shaped jackets! Of course your sunglasses are sweet!


    Thanks for linking up with Turning Heads Tuesday!
    jess xx
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope your health lets you travel next year.Melbourne does have some interesting buildings, I enjoyed photographing them. Thank you for hosting Turning Heads Tuesday.

      Delete
  6. You look very elegant in all black. I've always loved all black too, especially with creative pieces like yours.
    That Federation Square looks really interesting. The angles and sharpness, etc...I think I need to take more photos of some of our older buildings in Seattle. I've noticed a few gargoyles around town myself. They are cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joni , you know me I am partial to my blacks.I would love to see more of Seattles interesting buildings, I'm with you on the gargoyles.

      Delete
  7. Very elegant black outfit. I like the design of the coat!

    Greetings from Martina, Elegant 40, through Turning Heads #Linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think gargoyles are supposed to scare away evil, although sometimes I think banks are full of gargoyles on the inside with the abysmal service we often get here. Heh. Great architecture. I love the wonky building.
    And I love that architecture on your body as well. The pin and hat are perfect accents. I'm glad you had a fun and safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie you could be right about the banks, something we can all relate to. Glad you liked the outfit, the pin is a favourite of mine.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful buildings and lovely clothes! I do like the interesting collar on your jacket and your delightful hat, you do look so comfy in black xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much, black and I are old friends and I always find it works so well when travelling.

      Delete
  10. It's very nice to have a tour across Melbourne with you! Very beautiful buildings with interesting architectural details. I also like the mix of new and old buildings...
    I love walking in the city and taking photos!
    You are very stilish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dan, I am glad you enjoyed seeing Melbourne through my eyes. Our cities can never are so new compared to the wonderful history of those in Italy.

      Delete

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig